Looking to take your paddling skills to the next level? With our British Canoeing accredited 3 Star Sea Award, paddlers can consider themselves as an able and improving sea paddler rather than a beginner. Our course is delivered over two days in our Cullercoats coastal venue, offering a range of conditions and shoreline features for you to explore.
During assessment, paddlers should be able to demonstrate personal competence when paddling in wind conditions of no more than Beaufort Force 3 or Sea State 3 as part of a led group.
3 Star Sea candidates must:
- Age 18+ (14-18s allowed with an accompanying parent/guardian)
- Provide evidence of at least three different journeys on the sea, of about 2-3 hours duration each.
- Have experience of paddling in the sea in relatively calm conditions (eg. less than sea state 3), in the appropriate craft.
- Have the ability to swim confidently in the sea environment, wearing normal paddling clothes.
3 Star Certificates are issued to successful candidate by British Canoeing following a recommendation from the course provider, subject to the following certification fees:
- £12 for members
- £25 for non-members
- Two days coaching from a L5 British Canoeing instructor
- Packed lunch on both days with free tea/coffee during the theory sessions
- Use of a sit-on kayak and paddle if required
- Use of a buoyancy aid, helmet, wetsuit and boots if required
How to Book
2019 dates coming soon. For now pre-register interest by emailing us.