The Paddlesport Leader is aimed at paddlers taking on formal leadership responsibilities in benign, sheltered water environments and aims to support Leaders to run safe, quality, enjoyable trips based on their group’s needs and aspirations. The qualified Paddlesport Leader can lead kayaks, canoes and stand up paddleboards on single craft or mixed craft sessions . All three craft will be available to try during the training course.
At Cullercoats Bike & Kayak this qualification is delivered in three parts:
- Paddlesport Leader Training (2 day practical course): This is the course described below. The cost is £175 per person.
- E-learning modules (free resource, completed in your own time): These can be found on the British Canoeing website.
- Paddlesport Leader Assessment (2 day practical assessment): This can be undertaken with us, or another provider. Typically we hold this in spring. Additional costs apply.
Between training and assessment it is expected that you will assist other qualified leaders in delivery of sessions. You are welcome to shadow sessions at Cullercoats Bike & Kayak in your own time, to help reinforce your training and develop your skills.
Our Training Course
Our course is delivered by an experienced Level 5 British Canoeing coach. Our aim is to provide a relaxed learning environment in a range of environmental conditions. Typically you will be trained in venues such as:
- Sheltered tidal water (eg. Cullercoats Bay)
- Sheltered moving water (eg. Tyne Estuary)
- Sheltered inland water (eg. Woodhorn Colliery Park)
- Two days coaching from a L5 British Canoeing instructor
- Packed lunch on both days with free tea/coffee during the theory sessions
- Use of a sit-on kayak, SUP and canoe as required
- Use of a buoyancy aid, helmet, wetsuit and boots as required
To register on this course you should be:
- Aged over 18
- Confidently kayaking, canoeing and/or paddleboarding at around British Canoeing 3* standard (ie. making independant journeys, understand your environment and trip planning etc)
- Have the ability to swim confidently, wearing paddling kit
How to Book
2019 dates coming soon. For now you can pre-register your interest by emailing us.