Join us from Friday 7 to Sunday 9 June at Cragside Estate for a two day adventure retreat in the stunning Northumberland countryside. You'll stay in the Cragside Bunkhouse at the heart of this stunning National Trust estate. After closing time, enjoy 1000 acres all to yourself. Included is a range of adventure activities across the weekend including:
- Simonside Crags Hike Guided walk through conifer forests and across heather moorland to the summits of the most distinctive hills in Northumberland National Park. 8 miles, 200m ascent.
- Explore Cragside by Canoe & Kayak Cragside's many lakes formed the backbone of the Estates hydro-electric and hydro-mechanical innovations. Explore the water by canoe and kayak.
- Introduction to Stand Up Paddleboarding Take a lesson and get started with the world's fastest growing water sport. Our instructors will guide you throughout.
- Carriage Drive Cycle Trail After the estate closes, explore the scenic Carriage Drive by bicycle and enjoy the forest and moorland landscapes. Hybrid bicycle and helmet provided.
- Yoga by the Lakeside Enjoy a morning yoga session by the lakeside. Mats provided.
All activities are optional, but we always encourage people to do as much as possible. This itineary is subject to change based on weather conditions, but the plan is:
- Fri Afternoon: Check-in and self-guided exploration of Cragside Estate
- Fri 6PM: Welcome at Bunkhouse from your Adventure Guides
- Fri Eve: Relax in bunkhouse or join us for a woodland walk to a local pub in Rothbury (1.5 miles)
- Sat AM: Simonside Crags Hike
- Sat PM: Exploring Cragside by Canoe/Kayak, on foot or by bicyle
- Sat Eve: BBQ Dinner at the Bunkhouse
- Sun AM: Yoga by the Lakeside
- Sun Late Morning: Introduction to Paddleboarding
- Sun PM: Depart
Cragside Bunkhouse is a restored Victorian cottage, sleeping 16 people. The bunkhouse features dorm style accommodation (max 6 persons per room) and communal living areas, kitchen and bathroom. You can read more about the accommodation and see pictures here. You will need to bring your own bedding/sleeping bag and pillow.
Food & Drink
Provided as part of the retreat we include:
- Breakfast & Lunches: We'll keep the communal kitchen stocked with a selection of cold foods. Using these you'll be able to prepare your own continental breakfast, packed lunches and snacks throughout the weekend.
- Hot & Cold Drinks: We'll keep the bunkhouse stocked with tea, coffee, hot chocolate, milk and juice so you can help yourself whenever you want one.
- Outdoor BBQ Dinner: On Saturday evening, the National Trust catering team will serve an outdoor barbecue feast for the group at the Bunkhouse: including burgers, veggie burgers, spiced kebabs, veg & halloumi skewers, salads and more.
Note: We do not include an evening meal on the Friday, alcoholic beverages or cooked breakfasts. On the Friday evening we will lead a woodland walk into Rothbury (1.5 miles, 30 mins) to a local pub/restaurant if you'd like to eat out or have a drink. You can also pick up supplies from the local Coop supermarket.
What to bring
We have provided a packing list (click to download) for the weekend, please read this carefully well in advance. Whilst we supply all required equipment for the water sports, cycling and yoga, you will need suitable outdoor clothing and footwear throughout the weekend as lots of time will be spent outdoors.
- £295 including dormitory style accommodation, activities and the meals shown above.
- Full balance payable at the time of booking.
Select Sat 7 June from the calendar below then click 'Book Now'. All payments are securely processed by SagePay. You'll receive an e-mail confirmation when your booking is complete. If you prefer to book by telephone, you can reach us on 0191 251 9412.