In partnership with the National Trust, Cullercoats Bike & Kayak are bringing a range of exciting and adventurous activities to Cragside Estate, in the heart of Northumberland.
Join us at the top of the estate and explore the inner trails by bike. Our guided tours are perfect if you have never cycled on the estate before as we'll show you the trails and facilities, as well as making sure you have an awesome adventure on two wheels. Rides are 3-4 miles with some light climbs, mostly on gravel paths. There is a short stretch on the Estate Drive, where traffic is limited to 10mph.
- Upcoming Dates: Sun 21 Jan, Sun 4 Feb, Sun 18 Feb, Sun 4 Mar, Sun 18 Mar
- Tour Times: Tours run at 11am, 12.30pm and 2pm, lasting around 1 hour.
Kayaking & Canoeing
Our kayaking and canoeing programme is back from Friday 30 March to Sunday 12 September 2018. We'll be at the lakeside every Thursday to Sunday and on Bank Holiday Mondays too. You can get involved in:
- Canoe Hire: Half-hour slots between 11.15 and 15.15. £15 per boat. Suitable for 2 adults, 1 adult + 2 children or 2 adults + 1 small child (under 12).
- Kayak Hire: Half-hour slots between 11.45 and 15.00. £7.50 single kayak, £15 tandem kayak.
- Guided Canoe Tour: 14.30-15.00. £8 adult, £6 child. This 45 minute session is led by an instructor.
- Splashdown! Daily at 11.00. £14pp. Our 'let's get wet' kids session. Learn to paddle, play games and more. Ages 7-12 years.
Stand Up Paddleboarding (SUP)
SUP is the latest must-do activity. From its origins as a way of island hopping in Hawaii, it has quickly become a favourite pastime for many. Now it’s here in Northumberland on select Sundays in 2018 so you can give it a go!
Available 2018 dates: Sun 29 April, Sun 20 May, Sun 10 June, Sun 15 July, Sun 12 August and Sun 2 September.
- SUP Hire: One hour at 11.00 or 12.00. £20 per person inc. wetsuit.
- SUP Lesson: 13.00-14.00. £30 adults, £20 children. Learn to SUP with our professional instructors.
- SUP Kids: 14.00-15.00. £14pp. Everyone gets wet in this fun and active kids only session! Ages 11-16 years.
Adventure Retreat: 2 Night Residential
Take some time out this summer on our Adventure Retreat at Cragside. You, the great outdoors and an adventure filled programme of canoeing, paddleboarding, cycling, hiking, yoga and more. From Friday 15 June to Sunday 17 June at Cragside Estate. More details coming soon. Pre-register your interest via email: email@example.com
Click your chosen date see all available activities and times, or search for a specific activity using the keyword box. Then simply click 'Book Now' to make your reservation online. All payments are securely handled by Sage Pay. If you prefer to book by telephone, we're on 0191 251 9412.
Is Cragside admission included in the price? Unless you are a National Trust member, you still have to pay standard admission prices when arriving at Cragside. Both 'Gardens & Woodland' and 'Whole Property' admission permit access to the lakes.
How old do you have to be?
- Kayak, Canoe and Stand Up Paddleboard self-guided hire: Adults and children aged 7+. Under 16s must be accompanied by an adult on the water.
- Guided canoeing: Adults and children aged 5+. Under 14s must be accompanied by an adult on the water.
- Splashdown! and SUP Kids: Children aged 7-14 only.
- Cycle Tours: Adults and children aged 7+. Children must be accompanied by an adult for the duration of the ride.
What should I wear? Please check your pre-arrival information sent to your email at the time of booking as this varies by activity.
Where can we find you? We move around the estate depending on which activity we are delivering. Please check your pre-arrival information for your meeting point. General assistance is available at the Visitor Centre.
Enter the world of Lord Armstrong - Victorian inventor, innovator and landscape genius. Cragside house was truly a wonder of its age. It was the first house in the world to be lit by hydroelectricity. To generate this electricity Armstrong built a number of lakes, dams and other water features, making this an exciting place to explore by kayak or canoe. The gardens are incredible. One of the largest rock gardens in Europe leads down to the Iron Bridge, which in turn leads to the formal garden. Children will love the adventure play area and exploring Nelly's Labyrinth, a network of paths and tunnels cut out of a vast area of rhododendron forest. We really recommend making a day of your visit. Find out more about Cragside...