Famed for its seven bridges spanning the steep Tyne Gorge, the Quayside of Newcastle and Gateshead is best experienced from the water. There is no jostling for position here as you quietly paddle beneath the bridges, snapping pictures and enjoying the view as you go.
Our professional river guides will show you the sights of Newcastle and Gateshead from a whole new perspective and explain some of the history behind this great northern river and city. We will also give you an extensive safety brief and help you with paddling tips and techniques.
Cullercoats Bike & Kayak have been running this tour since 2014, each and every one has been a sell out. We'll explore the bridges in Newcastle City Centre, the historic and modern buildings of the Quayside and (if tides permit) the Ouseburn area of the city. Tours depart from:
- From Saturday 20 July to Sunday 1 September: Newcastle City Marina, Quayside, Newcastle upon Tyne, NE1 1LF.
- All other dates: St Peter's Marina, St Peters Basin, Bottlehouse St, Newcastle upon Tyne NE6 1HX.
Who is it suitable for?
The tour is at a relaxed pace and takes place on slack tide, when the river flow is lowest, so it is suitable for people with limited kayaking experience. However you should:
- Have a good standard of fitness, able to undertake moderate physical activity without difficulty.
- Have no difficulties lifting one end of the kayak (approx. 10kg)
- Be comfortable in a sitting position for up to two hours
The kayaks are suitable for people weighing less than 110kg. Children ages 12-17 are welcome, but we ask they be supervised by adult on a 1:1 ratio.
- All equipment, including your sit-on kayak
- An experienced & qualified river guide
- Full use of the marina faciltities
If you want to give this tour as a gift you can buy a voucher in-store or click here to buy gift vouchers quickly and securely online.
Available dates are shown below in green. Select the date to see start and end times, or to quickly book your tour online. If you need assistance or prefer to book by phone, please call us on 0191 251 9412.
Private & Group Tours
If you have your own group of family or friends and would like a private tour, please do get in touch by e-mail: email@example.com or telephone: 0191 251 9412. Dates/times are flexible. Prices start from £315 for the first group of up to 8 people, additional places are then priced at £44.50 per person.